Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Banking Concept of Education

What Friere means by “truly human” (which he says we can’t be) is that knowledge comes through communication and not just one person giving out all the information. The students have to discover that they can educate the teacher instead of just thinking that the teacher holds all the knowledge and creativity when he speaks of “liberation education” , he is referring to the teachers and students coming together and working out problems in the class as one and not with one side having total dominance. “Authentic Liberation” is stating that the teachers thinking is authenticated based on the authenticity of the students. This is thinking that is real life reality and only takes place in communication. The teacher cannot think for the student. “Authority on the side of freedom” denies that man is abstract, alone, independent and unattached to the world.
            My memorable experience was very recent. It was during the interim here at Sioux Falls. I never was one to interact much with my teachers until I came across Joy Lind. She did an excellent job everyday on using problem posing skills and open communication. She made me feel as if I was so important to the class even when I didn’t want to be. She got us together in group activities and made herself apart of each group as well. Her office hours were key to me and she communicated with me until I understood what it was I was struggling with, not one time did she make me feel dumb or stupid for not knowing the information.

1 comment: