Monday, February 14, 2011

My early experience came as a sophomore in high school. I was going through many challenges in public school like fights, grades, and just a bad attitude towards anything having to do with school. I couldn’t quit find any motivation to push myself to that next level because of all the distractions that I allowed to distract me. My grades were poor and needed major help, just was not sure on what to do. A childhood friend whose dad is a pastor, had heard through the community that I was struggling and was headed down the wrong path. He came and spoke with me and really touched me with his words. He stated that I am here for a reason and that I have to good of heart to do the wrong thing.  Not having a true father figure in my life made it hard to want to listen to someone who is not my father. However, I took his words of wisdom in and I ran with it. He suggested that I make a change and switch schools because the way I was headed would probably get me kicked out anyway. He was a pastor at a private school called Capital Christian High School and advised that school for me. Me playing football made it hard to step back and want to attend a private school that was not big for sports. However, their education was phenomenal and could push me to the level I needed to be at. With the position I was in and a quick decision to be made, I took the advice given by the pastor and changed schools. I was able to get involved with a smaller school and receive personal attention that I wasn’t able to at public school. The teachers really wanted the best for me and took many hours to tutor me and make sure I knew the information fully. Capital Christian and my friends Father had a huge impact on my education and getting me back on track. Like Fredrick Douglas, I felt like I was stuck in an uncomfortable position (public school and Douglas’s slavery) and had to rely on another source to get out.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a wonderful testimony to your friend, his father and to yourself as well, Robert. Your decision to put your education first while leaving the "attitude" behind was evidently one of the more profound and impacting decisions of your life thus far. I am glad you chose the higher road, per se. It always seems to offer the more fruitful journey. If you would like to post an additional response or provide more insight into this particular pastor and his influence in your life, feel free to do so. 200 more words will suffice, and will make up for the points you lost on your Banking Concept quiz (they will be returned on Wed). Thank you.

    ReplyDelete